Saturday, January 19, 2013

Five for Friday.. On Saturday, AGAIN!

Wow, apparently I am not a good Friday blogger. But, in my defense, I didn't get home until after midnight last night because I was visiting friends out of state.. soo, I have an excuse.. right?

Well anyway! I'm linking up with Doodle Bugs Teaching for her Five for Friday Linky again! Yay!

1. This week my 3rd graders started working on reading non-fiction books. First, we watched a BrainPOP Jr video on non-fiction books to learn about the basics (my kids LOVE BrainPOP, so any time I can use it to help my students with a topic, I do!). Then I introduced our nonfiction read aloud book for the week (each week, we read a RAZ-Kids book as a read aloud and then we take a comprehension check at the end of the week), it was called "How Animals Sleep". We made a really great KWL chart that I wish I took a picture of! Grrr.. they did great though!

2. Then I had the students write on a post it 1 thing they know about nonfiction books and 1 thing they know about fiction books. It looked like this (sorry for the bad picture quality.. I've realized that there is a big difference between the camera on the iPad 2 and the iPad 3!):
Most of the kids wrote "real" for nonfiction and "fake" for fiction.. good start, I guess?? Haha

3. So the next day, we discussed the features of each type of book a little more in depth. Here's what we came up with (I got the idea for the anchor chart from Pinterest, but it's not linked back to the original source.. so whatever great teacher made it, thank you!):
4. I've made it through my first successful week of Guided Reading! It's definitely my own version of guided reading.. but it works for me & my kids and I'm loving all the reading they have been doing! The binder I made has been key in organizing everything and it's forcing me to get some really great data each week. Next week, I am going to share with you guys how I am doing guided reading in my classroom, so keep an eye out for it!
5. Have you noticed what happens when you hover over the pictures on my blog? ... No?? ... Go try it! ... See it now? ... Yes, that is a Pinterest button! How awesome right? I owe that all to Charity from Classroom Freebies Too. Head on over there to see how to get your own, it's super easy!

Who else has off on Monday? I kept forgetting about it all week.. so everyday it was like a little surprise when I would remember it was a 3-day weekend! I'm excited to relax, get some things done around the apartment and hopefully make a new product! Oh yea, and write two IEPs and update my Parent Communication Log.. but that's fine because I'll actually have the time to do it! What are your plans for the long weekend?

Don't forget to link up for Special Needs Sunday!!
Photobucket

5 comments:

  1. Looks good! Do you just have a subscription to Raz Kids or the other stuff as well. Is it part of your guided reading? We have Brain Pop as well and I'm looking forward to using it with our students. I just figured out how to get a projector hooked up to my computer. I started with Class Dojo and next step Brain Pop

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our school has a subscription to RAZ Kids and BrainPOP/BrainPOP Jr.. they are both reeeally useful! How is ClassDojo going? I loove it, I use it everyday!

      Delete
  2. I can't wait to hear more about your guided reading. How long do you pull students for?

    Angelia
    Extra Special Teaching

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I pull my students for about 10-15 minutes in small groups of 2 or 3.

      Delete
    2. I'd love to hear your schedule for guided reading. How much do you get accomplished in such a short time. Sometimes I think I must not teach fast enough! LOL.

      Angelia
      Extra Special Teaching

      Delete

Tell me what you think!

 
Pin It button on image hover